Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pronoun Troubles

I have been having pronoun troubles lately. Am I a we or a they? When I first wrote this I wrote: “I have been told that they think that westerns smell bad because of how much milk they consume” instead of we. However, I am not Chinese. I am indeed a westerner in both my thoughts and in my actions. (Click here to read about my American-ness). I do not even claim to be an egg, those who fit so well into Chinese/ Asian culture that they are said to be white on the outside and yellow on the inside. (This is not a racist thing). So I have no idea why I wrote we instead of they, but for some reason I did.

This is the first time that I have had trouble with pronouns when referring to Westerners vs. Chinese, but I have had pronoun troubles in referring to my two schools, Tianjin and Qingdao. When I refer to Qingdao, I still say we, but I am not really a part of that we anymore. On the other hand, it would be very weird for me to call Qingdao a they. I don’t know if this just has something that will slowly fade away as I transition into my new school, or will I simply be a we at both schools. I am an English teacher, and I am finding pronouns confusing. What does this say about the English language?

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about pronoun troubles (not usually with nationalities though, more like with current vs. former congregations). It's part and parcel of figuring out an identity in a crazy life. I mean, I'm not sure whether I'm a Buckeye or a Hoosier anymore! I don't really feel like either one.

    ReplyDelete