Friday, September 21, 2012

Classroom Management Issues that You Won't Find Anywhere Else


This week has been a bit crazy. You see they had to turn off the central air because they had to prepare the school for winter. (We don’t have individual air conditioners on our classrooms). It was in the seventies and eighties all week, and I don't even have a fan in my classroom. Needless to say, this week was a bit miserable at least in terms of being hot. There were a few distractions that made this week frustrating yet memorable.

1)   With all the windows open, it is very easy to hear the man who sings, or maybe I should say he wails, in the park every morning. 

2)   It is too hot to keep the classroom doors closed, so we are able to hear everything that is going on in the other classes. For example, my students are taking a rather difficult quiz and the class across the hall is doing “Walk through the Bible” and all my students want to join in.

3)   Also during this quiz, the teacher across the hall says something and my entire class bursts into laughter, but I missed whatever it was that he said.

4)   We decided to go outside for class because it is cooler outside than inside. Unfortunately two other teachers had the same idea, and the most ideal spots were taken. 

5)   You can hear the fireworks better when your windows are open. You can hear the fireworks even better when you are outside.

6)   When a gym class is on the soccer field and your students are able to see the game, there is no hope for getting anything done in class, especially when the ball keeps on getting kicked in your direction. One highlight of this was that the ball came towards, and I kicked it back into the field and students from three different classes cheered. (I’m not sure if they thought that I was super cool or a major dork, but hopefully the former).

While many of these distractions are rather humorous, here’s to hoping that next week is cooler.

1 comment:

  1. I especially like point #6. It is truly wonderful as an un-athelete to be cheered at all, but by 3 classes? "You the man, teach!"

    ReplyDelete