Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Review


When I think back on this year, it has been a time of growth. There wasn't huge, life-changing things this year (unlike the two years prior), but there have been all these little areas where I have been challenged and grown. When I think ahead to the future, I hope that these little challenges continue to grow me.

Here are my resolutions from last year.

1.     I want to continue to improve my Chinese. I would like to finish book two of Chinese Made Easier by the end of the year. I have been told that this book is difficult, so I might be over-reaching. Nevertheless, I will make it my goal.

Well, I did finish book two, and I am set to start book three when school resumes. I still feel like my Chinese isn’t great though.

2.     I will actually work on editing my honors project this year.

I have been working on my honors project this break, and I am actually pretty happy with how it is turning out. I think that I could finish it to my satisfaction this break. I have resolved that this book will not be a classic. I just don’t think that I have it in me to write a literary masterpiece, but I have also resolved that it can be a good book, a well-written book, even if it never wins a Pulitzer.

3.     I will actually write in my prayer journal and spend more time in the Word.
     
I have gotten better at being more consistent at this though I am still not where I would like to be.

4.     I want to read more for fun. I would like to read at least one young adult book, one classic (or adult book), and one Christian non-fiction book every quarter. That would mean I would like to read 15 new books this next year. My rule for myself will be that a book for school will only count if it is my first time reading it.

Book I’ve Read

Young Adult Books
1.     The Book Thief – Excellent. Best book of the year. (Though this is in the Young Adult book category, I think that it could easily be put into the Literary Fiction category.)
2.     An Abundance of Katherines – Pretty good, but has some PG-13 elements.
3.     Winter Girls – Good. The end seemed a bit extreme, but still a good book.
4.     Catalyst – Same as Winter Girls. Good. The end seemed a bit extreme, but still a good book.
5.     Not My Home – An interesting look at 1800s Tianjin, China and international living.
6.     A Breath of Eyre – Good, but a bit over the top and also has some PG-13 elements.
7.     Sold – Very interesting. Quick read. Handled a difficult topic well.  Would highly recommend.


Non-Fiction
1.     Soul Suffer – Interesting. Not particularly well written. The movie tells the story well.
2.     Crazy Love – Good and thought provoking.
3.     The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness – Very good. Short, but makes you think.

Adult Book/ Classics
1.     Of Mice and Men – Good. Lots of language. Good points for discussion though.
2.     The Handmaid’s Tale – Good.  Adult Elements. Not sure how to react to it.
3.     Pearl of China – A very interesting look at Pearl S. Buck. Not particularly well written, but a gripping story.


I did not reach my goal, but I am happy with the books I have read this year. I think there might be one more in there somewhere that I have forgotten about, but that’s ok. If I could count the books that I began reading this past year, this list would probably double.

Resolutions for 2014
1.     I want to continue to improve my Chinese. I would like to finish book three of Chinese Made Easier by the end of the year.
2.     I would like to finish editing my honors project.
3.     I write in my prayer journal and spend more time in the Word.
4.     I want to read more for fun. I would like to read at least one young adult book, one classic (or adult book), and one Christian non-fiction book every quarter. That would mean I would like to read 15 new books this next year. My rule for myself will be that a book for school will only count if it is my first time reading it.
5.     I will blog more. At least one blog a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment