Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Playing like a Panda

Here follows my adventures in the Sichuan city of Chengdu.




Day 1
I left my apartment at 5 am. Yuck! However with the help of my roommate, I had arranged for a taxi driver to come to pick me up. I arrived in Chengdu around 10. Rebekah picked me up, and we caught up the whole way home. This was the first time that we have seen each other since we graduated from college. 

After we dropped my stuff off at her apartment, we went out for Muslim Noodles, and Rebekah showed me around their neighborhood. The area where they live is so quant and peaceful and clean. I was thoroughly impressed especially by their apartment. It seemed to be set up in a much more western way than many of the apartments that I have been in here. Also, it felt very homey. The one down side was that it does not have central heat or insolated walls. The individual rooms have heaters, but they do not keep a room warm in the same way. While we in TJ have to open up windows in the middle of winter in order to keep from roasting, they have to wear a thousand layers.

After exploring, we went back and watched a movie/took a nap. Feeling rejuvenated from our nap, we went and got Chinese food for dinner. Even though my Chinese is terrible, it was fun to be the one with the better Chinese for a change, so I ordered our dinner.

After a filling and delicious meal, we watched Psych. This became our show over the trip, and we spent almost every evening watching it.

Day 2
We left Rebekah’s apartment at 7 am to go to the Panda reserve. A bus, the subway, a taxi, and almost 2 hours later, we arrived. Even though this sounds complicated, it was actually very easy.

The Panda reserve itself was a little hard to navigate. We had a map, and we followed the signs that told us what direction to go, but we kept getting sidetracked which caused us to go in circles. Eventually, we did see panda’s of all ages. The adult giant pandas were far away and hard to see, but I got good pictures of the other pandas. My favorite pandas were the “teenage” pandas. I believe that they were 1-4 years old, and they were very active. It was fun to watch them wrestle and play “King of the Hill.” The other pandas were pretty inactive; all they did was sit and eat.

Not only did the Panda reserve have Giant Pandas, they also had Red Pandas, which look like a cross between a raccoon and a fox. They were cool because we were able to get close to them though we were advised not to touch them.

Day 3
A friend from Qingdao also happened to be visiting Chengdu at the same time, so we spent the day catching up over coffee. 

In the evening, we got lost in a Tibetan area while looking for a restaurant. After eating a delicious western meal complete with Cheesecake for dessert, we went to a near by market. The shopping within the market was not particularly exciting (I really don’t really need any more Chinese souvenirs). However, ancient looking and Chinese lanterns lit the streets. We got some great pictures. I did buy a set of miniature Tibetan dolls for only 10 RMB ($1.50)! In my mind, this was the find of the night.

Day 4
It was Sunday, so we went downtown to a fellowship. After fellowship, we went to Peter’s for lunch. For those of you who live in China, I need not say more. For everyone else, I will say that it a large western food chain (specializing in Tex-Mex) in China, but they only have it in Chengdu, Beijing, and Shanghai.

After lunch, we did some shopping at the mall. I bought a new shirt which was one sale for 50 RMB (about $8). This was a good buy because I need something dressy to wear out to dinner for New Years Eve.

Then we went to the busiest IKEA in the world and boy was it overwhelming. I did, however, buy a few items including a new book bag. The one that I have been using, I have had since high school, and it is starting to fall apart and look very ratty.

Day 5
New Year’s Eve. We went to the Shangri-la for dinner where I ate one of the most expensive meals that I have ever eaten, but it was delicious. It was a buffet, so I ate Indian food, Chinese food, Middle Eastern food, and Western food. To top it off, we had our own room, so we played the bowl game after we finished. We left to ring in the New Year by singing songs to the Father.

After we got home, you would think that we would have gone to bed, but no, we watch Psych instead. It was three by the time we went to bed.

Day 6
I spent most of the morning in bed though I was awake at 9. Once we were awake and ready, we went to Pizza Hut for lunch. It was incredibly crowded, so by the time we got a table and ordered it was late. Sleeping in had eaten up the day. After gorging ourselves on pizza, we decided that we needed some exercise, so we decided to walk back.

As we walked, we tried to name as many countries as we could. We started with the As, then the Bs then the Cs and so on. The funny thing is that two of the countries we missed the first time around were China and The United States (The two countries in which all of us had lived). This made the two-hour walk back go by pretty quickly. We thought that we had done a pretty good job with naming the countries, but we sure missed a bunch. Did you know that there is a country named Isle of Man? If you are interested in a list of all the countries in the world, here’s a link.

That evening, we went to a small gathering at another teacher’s apartment. When we got home, it seemed only right to end the time with watching Psych.

Day 7
We left Rebekah’s apartment around 7am, and I got to my apartment around 1 pm. Overall, the trip was really fun. I ate a ton of very delicious western food, so now I need to get Malatong (my favorite Chinese soup with vegetables, sesame sauce, and spices) to make up for it. It was a good balance of relaxing and adventuring. I guess I could say that I played like a Panda. I did some active things, but I also ate a lot of good food.


No comments:

Post a Comment